Back
Prosper Rocher Brewery site
Yankee Hill Road, Columbia


  
Plaque in front reads: In 1856 Prosper Rocher constructed Columbia's second brewery located one-half mile east of town on the north side of Yankee Hill Road. Rocher, a French physician, was first partners with Anton Bixel in the Columbia Brewery on Italian Bar Road. Rocher's brewery business failed and by 1861 the brick building was dismantled, leaving only the basement depression and stone foundation visible today. (E. Clampus Vitus, 1993)