Back to Home
Show Alphabetically
Show in
Large Print
Directory for Columbia — By Category
LODGING
49ER RV RANCH. RV campsites. Full hookups include cable TV, WiFi. Park has laundry facilities, store, propane, courtesy phone. Campfire sing-alongs. AAA approved. 23223 Italian Bar Rd, P O Box 49, Columbia 95310. 209 532-4978.
CITY HOTEL. Closed for renovation. Expected to reopen April 1, 2014. Ten-room historic hotel. Reservations available at www.reserveamerica.com. 22768 Main Street, Columbia, CA 95310. 209 532-1479, 209 536-2719 reservations.
COLUMBIA GEM MOTEL. Motel rooms and six log cabins. Some have refrigerators and microwaves. 22131 Parrotts Ferry Rd, Sonora 95370. 209 532-4508, 800 436-6685.
COLUMBIA INN MOTEL. Motel. Cable TV, coffee in rooms. Some rooms have refrigerators & microwaves. WiFi, swimming pool. 22646 Broadway, Columbia 95310. 209 533-0446, fax 209 588-0460.
COLUMBIA RV PARK. RV park, "day, week, or month". 21770 Parrotts Ferry Rd, Sonora 95370.
FALLON HOTEL. (Closed for renovation, expected to reopen April 1, 2014) This hotel was once a boarding house, built in 1859 by Owen Fallon. It was later turned into a fancy hotel and operated until the 1940s under various names, including the "Columbia Hotel and Opera House", "Kress Hotel", "Smith Hotel", and "Columbia Inn". In 1947 the state purchased it. It was restored and reopened as the Fallon Hotel in 1986. 11175 Washington St,. 209 532-1470..
THE HARLAN HOUSE. Bed & Breakfast in a rennovated 2-story Victorian with antiques in bedrooms. 22890 School House St, P. O. Box 686,. 209 533-4862.
MARBLE QUARRY RV PARK. RV and tent sites. Full hookups for RVs. Store and gift shop, laundry facilities, propane, WiFi, swimming pool, playground, horseshoes, gold panning, hiking trails. Walk to downtown Columbia. 11551 Yankee Hill Rd. 109 532-9539, fax 209 532-8631.
UNION HILL INN. Historic inn on large site with hiking, gazebo, ponds, etc. Four suites in the hotel itself and 3 nearby cottages. 21645 Parrotts Ferry Rd, Sonora CA 95370. 209 533-1494, 888 533-4885 free, 209 533-4885 fax.
EAT & DRINK
BIXEL BREWERY. Saloon has beer, ale, and wine. The beer will include beer brewed at the St. Stans craft brewery in Modesto. Also has sandwiches (turkey, ham, and roast beef), hot dogs, and Polish dogs. Wine is Black Oak and includes chardonnay, white zinfandel, Merlot, and cabernet sauvignon. Main St & Yankee Road, Columbia. 209 533-4656. HOURS: Mon-Fri 1pm-9pm, Sat 10am-10pm, Sun 10am-9pm Closing time may vary.
BROWN'S COFFEE HOUSE & SWEETS SALOON. Sandwiches, hot dogs, ice cream, soda (incl. sarsparilla), frappes, expresso drinks, brownies, muffins, and candy. Bulk tea, spices, coffee. NOW OPEN FOR BREAKFAST ALSO. 22760 Main St. 209 532-1850. HOURS: Mon-Sun 9am-5pm.
COLUMBIA HOUSE RESTAURANT. Closed due to fire. Expected to reopen about May, 2014. Main St. HOURS: Mon-Sun midnightam-midnightam.
COLUMBIA KATE'S BAKERY. Bread, cinnamon rolls, pies, cakes, scones, coffee, tea. State St & Columbia St. HOURS: Mon-Thurs 9am-2pm, Fri-Sat 9am-4pm, Sun closed.
COLUMBIA KATE'S TEAHOUSE. Tea, sandwiches, quiche, scones, pastries, soup, salads, coffee, gifts. 22727 Columbia St. 209 532-1885. HOURS: Mon-Sun 11am-4pm.
DAY-O. Drive by stand. Expresso, smoothies, frappes, tea, Italian sodas, hot chocolate, muffins, cookies. 21770 Parrotts Ferry Rd, Columbia CA 95310.
EL JARDIN. Lunch & dinner. Mexican food. Tacos, enchiladas, other traditional items. Seafood, fajitas, salads, soup, various dinner combinations. Soda, margaritas, etc, beer, wine. 22758 Broadway, Columbia 95310. 209 532-1291.
FALLON HOUSE ICE CREAM PARLOR. Ice cream cones, sundaes, sodas, floats, milkshakes, malts. Expresso drinks & other hot drinks. Soda (incl. sarsaparilla), lemonade, ice tea, Italian sodas. Washington St, Columbia. HOURS: Mon-Sun 11am-5pm.
JACK DOUGLASS SALOON. Sandwiches, hot dogs, salads, chili, snacks, soda (incl. sarsparilla & wild cherry), draft & bottle beer, wine by the glass, carafe, or bottle. Tables or historic bar. Sometimes has live music. 22718 Main St, Columbia 95310. 209 533-4176. HOURS: Mon-Thurs 10am-6pm, Fri 10am-7pm, Sat-Sun 10am-6pm.
NUGGET CAFE, THE. Breakfast and lunch. Parrotts Ferry Rd.
PEPPERMILL RESTAURANT. Restaurant.
WATER WHEEL PIZZA & SALOON. Pizza Parlor and Saloon. with beer & wine and pizza. Domestic & imported beer, tap and bottled. Wine. Pizza of various kinds and pepperoni pizza by the slice. Wings, salad, breadsticks. Live music on weekends. 22265 Parrotts Ferry Road, Sonora CA 95370. 209 532-6206.
WHAT CHEERS SALOON. Closed for renovation. Expected to reopen in summer, 2014. Historic saloon with food. Beer, wine, cocktails. Soda including sarsparilla. Main Street, Columbia, CA 95310. HOURS: Mon-Thurs 10am-6pm, Fri 10am-7pm, Sat-Sun 10am-6pm.
GAS, GROCERY & DRUG
COLUMBIA MERCANTILE. Groceries, household supplies, maps, local books, ice cream, wine, beer, soda (incl. sarsaparilla and other historic soda drinks), postcards, greeting cards, hot coffee. Newspapers (SF Chron, Sonora Union Democrat, Modesto Bee). ATM inside. 11000 Jackson, Columbia 95310. 209 532-7611. HOURS: Mon-Tues 9am-5:30pm, Wed-Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 10am-6pm, Sun 9am-6pm.
KWIK-SERV GAS AND R&L MINI-MART. Has diesel. Large selection of wine and hard liquor, snacks, candy, groceries, ice, beer, cleaning supplies. Newspapers: Modesto Bee. Parrotts Ferry Rd, Columbia.
INFORMATION & HISTORY
CHURCH OF THE 49ERS. Historic church, originally built in 1849 as the First Presbyterian Church. The original structure was destroyed by fire. The present structure is a replica, completed in 1854. Jackson & Gold Sts, Columbia.
ANGELO'S HALL. A historic hall where various community events were held, including dances. Angelo's Hall was rennovated in 2008.
ASSAY OFFICE. This tiny room includes a replica of a circa 1860 furnace for assaying gold and for heating it in a retort for purifying it and pouring it into a mold. Main St, Columbia. HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
CALIFORNIA STORE. This exhibit is a replica of an 1850s general store, selling "provisions, miner's supplies, and dry goods.". North Main Street, Columbia.
CHICKEN COOP. Chickens in a coop just like they were raised during the Gold Rush.
CHINESE HERBAL SHOP. Exhibit shows a Chines herbal remedy shop as it looked in the 1850s. Main St, Columbia.
CLAVERIE BUILDING RUINS. Ruins of a building built in 1857 by three Frenchmen, including L. Claverie. The area was the French section of town. In 1869 it was sold to Sun Lun Sing and known as "The Old China Store". The area became a Chinese section, and adjacent to it in the mid 1870s was a Joss House and Chinese Theatre. Italian Bar Road, Columbia, CA.
COLUMBIA CEMETERY. The Columbia Cemetery is distinguised by the "In God We Trust" over its entrance. (Another cemetery, the Masonic, is nearby.) Many people important to Columbia history are buried here. Many headstones are marble, which was available locally at low cost. End of School House St, Columbia.
COLUMBIA DIGGINS'. Every year, this site comes alive for four days as a reenactment of what Columbia was probably like in 1852, with a town built primarily with tents, before wooden or stone buildings were built. Columbia St, Columbia.
COLUMBIA GAZETTE OFFICE. This building was the office of the Columbia Gazette, a newspaper published in the 1850s. Main St, Columbia.
DENTIST OFFICE. Exhibit shows a dental office as it looked in the late 1800s. Dental tools and instruments from various periods, from the 1850s to the 1890s.
DRUG STORE. Exhibit shows an 1850+ era drug store, with an extensive array of bottles, boxes, and drawers filled with pharmaceutical & herbal remedies. Also shown are historic tools for making, handling, and packaging pills and suppositories.
EAGLE COTAGE. This structure was a miner's boarding house first built in 1854. It was destroyed by fire and rebuilt several times. The current building is a replica of the original built in 1961. It is now used for community meetings. (The archaic spelling is not a typo.). Washington St, Columbia.
GOLD DISCOVERY SITE. On this site in March, 1850, Dr. Thadeus Hildreth, while camping for the night with his brother and a few other miners, found gold. As word of the discovery spread, a tent city sprang up that led to the founding of the town of Columbia. Columbia St, Columbia.
COLUMBIA JAIL. Circa 1860 jail, with two cells. Walk inside. Columbia St near Jackson, Columbia. HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
JUSTICE COURT. Exhibit shows the Columbia Justice Court courtroom as it appeared in the 1850s. HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm Open 1 hour later in summer.
JOHNSON'S LIVERY. Exhibit shows a historic livery stable ("Horses bought, sold, & traded") with examples of horse-drawn carriages inside. HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
MASONIC HALL. Exhibit shows a Masonic meeting room and various artifacts (e.g., a ceremonial trowel) associated with the Masons. The building was erected in 1855, razed, then restored in 1949. Washington St, Columbia.
MINING EQUIPMENT EXHIBIT. Outdoor exhibit of mining machinery, including water wheels (to get energy for equipment), a stamping mill, and a "monitor" that concentrates water to produce high pressure for hydraulic mining. Near Columbia St, Columbia.
COLUMBIA MUSEUM. Exhibits under glass show photos and artifacts from early Columbia on various topics, including schools, women in the mines, banking, gambling, hard rock mining, gold panning, the Chinese, and Native Americans. Free 22 minute video of park shown in rear. HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
NATIVE SONS OF THE GOLDEN WEST MUSEUM. Exhibit shows photos, medals, plaques and other artifacts from this fraternal society that was important to life in the mid to late 1800s. Main St, Columbia.
PROSPER ROCHER BREWERY SITE. Plaque in front reads: In 1856 Prosper Rocher constructed Columbia's second brewery located one-half mile east of town on the north side of Yankee Hill Road. Rocher, a French physician, was first partners with Anton Bixel in the Columbia Brewery on Italian Bar Road. Rocher's brewery business failed and by 1861 the brick building was dismantled, leaving only the basement depression and stone foundation visible today. (E. Clampus Vitus, 1993). Yankee Hill Road, Columbia.
OLD COLUMBIA SCHOOL HOUSE. Historic school preserved as it was with old style desks, blackboards, and wood stoves. Enter via door at south end. Enter 2nd floor via stairway at north end. Picnic tables nearby. School House Rd, Columbia.
HISTORICAL MARKER--TOWN OF SPRINGFIELD. Plaque reads: "Springfield received name from abundant springs gushing from limestone boulders. Town with its stores, shops and hotel, built around plaza. Once boasted 2,000 inhabitants. Believed founded by Donna Josefa Valmesada, Mexican woman of means with reputation for aiding Americans in War with Mexico. During heyday, 150 miners carts could be seen on road, hauling gold-bearing dirt to Springfield springs for washing.".
A. N. FISHER & CO. STAGE OFFICE. Walk in to see exhibit of 1850s stagecoach line office. Buy tickets here for stagecoach rides around Columbia. Fares: Child/Senior: inside $5, shotgun $8. Adult/teen: inside $6, shotgun $9. Stagecoaches run 7 days a week from Memorial Day to Labor Day from 10am-4pm Mon-Thurs and 10am-5pm Fri-Sun. In March, April, May, Sept & Oct stagecoaches run Fri Sat Sun 11am-4pm. In Jan, Feb, Nov & Dec stagecoaches run 11am-4pm on Sat & Sun only. (Weather permitting.). HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-4pm.
ST. ANNE'S CHURCH. This historic church, built in 1856, was the first brick church built in California. The church is on Kennebec Hill and includes a cemetery.
WELLS FARGO & CO'S EXPRESS. Exhibit shows a shipping office (wagon or statecoach) as it looked in the 1850s, with a safe, old desk, strongbox, and an elaborate scale for weighing gold. Main St, Columbia.
SHOPPING
ARTIFICER'S EXCHANGE. Expects to open in spring, 2014. Hours expected to be Mon-Sat 10-5. "Learn and do here. Demonstrations, Work Shops, Craft Skills learning historical connections, tutoring. Dolls, Patterns, Kits, Notics, Botkins, &c. &c. &c.". 11259 Jackson, Columbia.
PARROTTS BLACKSMITH SHOP. Has a working forge and makes iron objects that are for sale, including horseshoes, crosses, candle holders, dinner bells, wire racks, hooks, and tables. 22737 Main St, Columbia 95310. 209 532-0445.
CANDLE COURTYARD. Candle dipping. You start with one of various shapes blanks and create a candle by dipping it into a sequence of waxes of different colors. Main St, Columbia 95310.
NELSON'S COLUMBIA CANDY KITCHEN. Hand-dipped chocolates, hard candy drops, peanut & other brittles, fudges, taffy, licorice, and lollipops. 22726 Main St, Columbia 95310. 209 532-1127. HOURS: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6pm.
COLUMBIA BOOKSELLERS & STATIONERS. Books on historic themes, gifts, posters, 1850s toys, photos, Indian jewelry & wampum. Hats. Part of a historic variety store. 22725 Main St, Columbia 95310. 209 533-1852. HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-5pm Opening and closing times may vary.
COLUMBIA KATE'S BOUTIQUE. Clothing & accessories. State St. & Columbia St. HOURS: Mon-Sun 11am-4pm.
FANCY DRY GOODS & CLOTHING STORE. Shirts, hats, dresses, pants, vests, bandanas, gifts, books on quilting, cloth. 22735 Main Street, Columbia 95310. 209 533-1849. HOURS: Mon 10am-5pm, Tues-Wed closed, Thurs-Sun 10am-5pm Open by appointment on Tuesday.
EBLER'S LEATHER & SADDLERY EMPORIUM. Leather goods, some tack (horse items). Leather item "reminiscent of the old West". Saddles, ropes, serapes. Belts and belt buckles. Journal covers, leather work gloves, purses, coin purses, key rings. Vests. Hats. "Experienced" boots and leather coats. Jewelry, moccasins. 22751 Main Street, Columbia. 209 532-1811. HOURS: Mon-Sun 10am-5pm.
KAMICE'S PHOTOGRAPHIC ESTABLISHMENT. Studio photographs visitors in 19th century costumes. Portrait and miniatures. Black & white, color tinted, or sepia tone. 22729 Main Street, Columbia, CA 95310. 209 694-6843. HOURS: Mon 10am-5pm, Tues-Wed closed, Thurs-Sun 10am-5pm (Winter hours).
MATELOT GULCH MINE SUPPLY STORE. Gifts, rocks & minerals, art objects made from minerals, gold nuggets, maps, mining supplies. Pan for gold in nearby sluice boxes. 22675 Main St, Columbia 95310. 209 532-9693. HOURS: Mon 10:30am-4pm, Tues-Thurs midnightam-midnightam, Fri 10:30am-4pm, Sat-Sun 10am-5pm Also sometimes open on Wed or Thurs--Call.
MEN'S EMPORIUM. Clothing. 22734 Main St. HOURS: Mon 10am-5pm, Tues-Wed closed, Thurs-Sun 10am-5pm Open by appointment only on Tuesday.
PIONEER EMPORIUM. Household goods, kitchenware, gifts, cookbooks, dining utensils, T-shirts, jewelry, toys, postcards, greeting cards. 22711 Main St, Columbia 95310. 209 588-0955. HOURS: Mon-Tues closed, Wed-Sun 10am-4pm.
SEVEN SISTERS SOAP & CANDLE COMPANY. Candles and soaps, bath products, incense. Most of the candles and soaps are made in the store. Some imported soaps. Also sells candle making supplies, including wax, molds, wicks, fragrance oils, coloring, and essential oils. Beeswax. 22719 Broadway. 209 536-9047.
TOWLE & LEAVITT. Gifts, jewelry, books on Gold Rush, housewares, T-shirts, soap, postcards, greeting cards, posters, toys, minerals. Main & State Sts, Columbia 95310. 209 532-7306. HOURS: Mon-Sun 9:30am-5pm.
UMQUA BANK. This still working bank is in the D.O. Mills building, built in 1854 and housing the D. O. Mills bank. It has a secret passage that leads to the assay and smelting shop. ATM. 22710 Main St, Columbia 95310. 209 536-5901.
RECREATION
COLUMBIA COLLEGE. Has occasional nighttime public lectures and movies. Sometimes has low-cost gourmet meals prepared by students of the Culinary Arts Institute, at Cellar Restaurent on weekdays (lower level, Manzanita Bldg). 11600 Columbia College Dr, Sonora 95370. 209 598-5100, , Celler Rest. 209 588-5300.
FALLON HOUSE THEATRE. Currently closed. Will reopen in April, 2014. One of two theatres in the area run by the Sierra Repertory Theatre. 11175 Washington St. 209 532-4644.
SMITH NATURE TRAIL.
SPRINGFIELD FLYING SERVICE. Tours of the Mother Lode area in a Cessna 172 or a 1943 biplane. 10767 Airport Rd, Columbia 95310. 209 532-4103.
SPRINGFIELD TROUT FARM. Fish for rainbow trout (very easy). Gear provided, no license needed, pay by the size of the trout caught. Trout cleaned and packed in ice. Family friendly. Open all year. 21980 Springfield Rd, Sonora 95370. 209 532-4623.
SERVICES
COLUMBIA AIRPORT TERMINAL. Columbia Airport (FAA ID is O22) is open to the public, elevation 2118 ft, attended 8am-5pm, jets allowed. 10723 Airport Rd, Columbia 95310. 209 533-5685..
COLUMBIA LAUNDROMAT. Coin laundry. Parrotts Ferry Rd, Columbia.
POST OFFICE, COLUMBIA. Typical services, including Express Mail. The zip code for Columbia is 95310. 22628 Parrotts Ferry Rd, Columbia 95310. 209 532-7557.